Thursday, May 17, 2007

"Under Cover"

12 x 12"

oil on masonite

sold

Not only do I melt when I approach Lautrec's paintings - seeing this lovely woman standing there, admiring his Moulin Rouge pieces - her hat, the navy blue coat that created this wonderful form, her bare heels lit up by the light - all of it just took my breath away.

Now's a good time to explain my obsession with this subject - people inside of museums. I'm really more obsessed with the human form - especially how we stand, how we balance and how we dress. I view all people, all shapes and sizes, as perfect models. The backdrop of a bare wall provides the definition of the body. A work of art in the background can be more dominant than the figure - or it can be more vague and unremarkable. A lot of times I include works of art that mean a lot to me personally. It's fantastic joy for me to do these paintings for all of those reasons.

Click here if you'd like a larger view.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Karin . . .What a terrific piece! I love the violet/yellow gradation on the wall. And I know those paintings, too. I have stood and oogled at the underlying drawings of Henri's own hand on the canvas! Your work really connects with me!

All the best!
Mike

Don Gray said...

I love to read your lively comments about your art/life. But the truth is, you didn't need to explain in words your obsession with people in museums at all. It's all there in volumes in the work itself--your love of the subject pours itself out for all to see in these paintings.