Thursday, June 21, 2007

"Soft Focus"

9 x 12"

oil on masonite

sold

I talked about how I avoid primary colors in a painting - and the same goes for pastels. It's probably the years and years of framing pastel-toned artwork at my shop - I think I have an aversion to it. Perhaps because pastels mean 'cute' in so many cases. I believe the trick is to grey down the pinks and blues and greens, at least for me to accept it. This new painting is a good example of that. The wall color I chose seemed so wrong at first, and then so right in the end. It seems to add to the soft, feminine quality of the woman and the Monet.

Please click here for a larger view and purchase information.

5 comments:

Shirley Fachilla said...

I really like this piece. Maybe because I've been fooling around with a version of that light warm grey background paired with a darkhaired, fairskinned, chiffon draped model. Pastels to help tame my tendency of too much value contrast I suppose.
Your color harmonies really work. I hope I can be even half as successful.

Anonymous said...

It works beautifully with the blue of the painting.
Awesome job on the frame, too!!

Kathy Jurek said...

It's really pretty Karen. You make it look so easy. :)

Kathy

Gerald Schwartz said...

I just sent you an email as I was so taken back with your work that I failed to find your blog and post.

GS

Jiddje said...

Great work, and that goes for all the paintings. Very nice colors indeed.