Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"Old South"


6 x 6"
oil on masonite
sold

This is one of those that I have wanted to paint for a long time, not knowing if I could pull it off. I've done a few night scenes and I love them - mostly because the color and light emerges from the darkness. And again, it can mostly be appreciated in person because of those dark areas, which have subtle shapes that barely appear.

This scene is from a summer night, in the little city of Asheville, North Carolina - the old building, for years, was a watch repair shop and recently became a boutique. This painting will be arriving at the 16 Patton Gallery, in Asheville, in mid-February. If you'd like a larger view and, please click here.


6 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the way the light fades into oblivion. Very nice night scene.

Todd Baxter Dawson said...

You're night scenes are fantastic! (not that your other work isn't also). As a confirmed night owl, I love both what you choose to paint, and the way you capture the light (and the dark) in ways that few manage to get right. Absolutely gorgeous.

Rita Foster said...

I love the warm glow of the light. Very nice!

Dani Brandimarte said...

Very nice. Asheville is a great place. I'd love to see you do more scenes from there.

Mary J DuVal said...

I absolutely love your work and I find your night scenes so intriguing and enchanting. I imagine you will find some wonderful homes to paint in Seattle.

T_Rex said...

Reminds me of Van Gogh