Monday, May 5, 2008

"Metropolitan Grill"

9 x 12"
oil on masonite
sold


(detail)

I painted this back in April, a result of my curiosity with a value study technique - using burnt umber and olive green as the base color. A medium tone covers the entire board - then the lighter areas are a result of diluting the paint down to the white surface, likewise the darker areas are the umber/green with a touch of black. Near the end, I added a touch of white/gold to the highlights to give it a warm glow, very much the mood in reality. This interior scene is taken from a well-known steakhouse in Seattle, the Metropolitan Grill. Truth is, I wanted to keep this painting but I do need to make a living.


a note ...... I'm heading out of town for more picture-taking, my last trip before it gets too hot to enjoy walking around a city. Happy trails and I'll be back with a whole lot of new work next week.


7 comments:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Very nice.
Keep it :D

kaycrain said...

It's beautiful, Karin. Warm and a really nice value study. And, it already has a bid.

Kim VanDerHoek said...

Lovely! What a great exercise. I bet it really helps you see values and their relationships.

In your May 2nd post it was so nice to read that even an experienced and talented painter like yourself still occasionally paints a bad one. After seeing so many beautiful paintings from you over the years I just assumed that it didn't happen anymore. It's very encouraging for a new painter like myself to read. Thanks!

Barbara Pask said...

Very nice. It feels perfect and all of the detail is amazing. You are amazing. Barb

ArtGirl said...

I actually really really love this one...It has that dusky, sizzly, sort of jazzy feel...I feel like I should be there with a manhattan and Billie Holiday in the background! Wish I could bid! But I am supposed to be saving! That's a tough concept!

michelle said...

From a fellow artist living in the Seattle area, you captured the Grills atmoshpere beautifully.

Anonymous said...

How in the world did you see to paint at all?

This piece calls for a brandy with a cigar.