Monday, April 27, 2009

"Summer Time"

9 x 12"
oil on masonite

I'm not one for Victorian or Romantic era paintings - perhaps I'm jaded from framing so many through the years. Then I see one in the flesh, like this painting by Frank Benson titled 'Summer'. It hangs in the Smithsonian American Art Museum - a must-see collection that's often overlooked because it's not on the Mall with the other museums. This new painting is included in my upcoming dual show opening May 9th.

Please click here for a larger view and purchase information.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice work, I like the contrast here of the "window" of the outside, light, graceful figure, vs. the dressed in black gallery goer indoors.

I love the SAAM as well, as it has the portrait gallery there. the building is incredible (once a treasury building?) seems carved out of marble.

It is off the beaten track.