Saturday, March 19, 2011

"On The Road #3"

4 x 4"
oil on masonite
sold

There are scenes that I long to paint but I know will take me days. I don't have that kind of patience. Trying them out 'small' is satisfying enough. Take a skyline like this - incredibly daunting to just map it out correctly and paint it on a larger scale. Maybe someday. What I know is what I felt when I was there - the painting in my head. A kaleidoscope of blues, aquas, greys, lavenders making up an almost-abstract composition. So very cool.

This view was taken from across the East River, from Brooklyn Heights Park, looking onto Lower Manhattan right at the start of Fleet Week last May.




8 comments:

Ann Gorbett said...

Love it. Love New York.

Sharon Alama Art said...

Really nice.... cities are so abstract and romantic at the same time.

Samantha Dorato Art said...

Oh...waw, I love this one, for sure !

Steve PP said...

Well done for simplifying , what could have been a tricky subject matter.

Jul said...

I really like this one. You've packed a lot of gorgeous detail into such a small painting!

Shirley Fachilla said...

Your little painting is beautiful. Julian Merrow-Smith (Postcards from Provence) said he wanted to do a big painting that looked as though it took forty minutes to do but that really took forty minutes plus forty years in learning time.
To which I say "Amen."

Jelaine Faunce said...

I want.

Stephanie Berry said...

Wow-I love the abstract way you did this. Colors are wonderful.